Launched in 2014, the Raffles Business Symposium aims to cultivate the entrepreneurial dare in our young people from 15 - 21 years and serve as an incubation ground for their ideas. The symposium is made up to two components - the symposium segment that comprises of presentations by ground-breaking local entrepreneurs and the competition segment for our budding entrepreneurs to share their unique business ideas and draw insights from the research and ideation process of others.
Through the symposium, we hope to enable our participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Celebrate those who have been entrepreneurially daring
- Harness the lessons learnt by existing entrepreneurs
- Have opportunities to voice out questions and receive advice from entrepreneurs who are well-versed with current market demands
- Foster the spirit of collaboration and the sharing of knowledge
- Present unique business ideas with the possibility of some ideas being implemented
The theme for the Raffles Business Symposium 2018 is: Environmental Sustainability.
"Sustainable development is a dynamic process which enables people to realise their potential and improve their quality of life in ways which simultaneously protect and enhance the earth's life support systems." (Forum for the Future) With a modern, consumerist and largely urban existence throughout the developed world today, an inexorable depletion of natural resources has resulted in immense amount of environmental degradation. Sustainable development is the key to ameliorate such an exigent issue and catalyse ethical and continuous economic growth.
This year, our keynote speakers include Ms Leona Tan, Head of DBS Foundation, Mr Aloysius Sng, CEO of REFASH, Mr Dragos Necula, CEO of Etrican, as well as representatives from oBike Singapore, and United Nations Global Compact Network Singapore. With their wealth of experience in their various industries, they will be sharing with us on how we can be better prepared be environmentally sustainable. The respective organisations from our speakers will also be working with us to realise outstanding proposals identified during this competition in real life.
For the competition segment, the winning teams will receive the following cash prizes, in addition to potentially realising their proposals with our partner organisations:
- 1st prize: $300
- 2nd prize: $200
- 3rd prize: $100
Here are also some important dates:
- RSVP Date: 15th June 2018, Friday
- Submission for Preliminary Round of Competition Segment: 21st July 2018, Friday
- Release of Preliminary Round results (via email) of Competition Segment: 9th August 2018, Thursday
- Symposium and Final Round of Competition Segment: 17th August 2018, Friday, 4:30pm - 8:30pm
We would like to invite up to 3 teams of 4-5 students to participate in the competition and symposium segments and 10 students or teachers to participate in the symposium segment.
Team Registration Form: https://tinyurl.com/RBSr
We will email the participants personally with more details, including the rubrics for the competition and a reading package based on Environmental Sustainability.
Students who are interested either in the competition and symposium segments or symposium segment only please email Mr Lam Hin Chew (email@example.com) by 11 June. Selection will be on a first come first serve basis. Please register only after Mr Lam has given the approval.